1 living or active in the absence of free oxygen; "anaerobic bacteria" [syn: anaerobiotic] [ant: aerobic]
2 not aerobic; "isometric exercises are anaerobic" [ant: aerobic]
Anaerobic is a technical word which literally means without air (where "air" is generally used to mean oxygen), as opposed to aerobic.
In wastewater treatment the absence of oxygen is indicated as anoxic; and anaerobic is used to indicate the absence of a common electron acceptor such as nitrate, sulfate or oxygen. An anaerobic adhesive is a bonding agent that does not cure in the presence of air.
Anaerobic refers to:
- Anaerobic clarigester, is a form of anaerobic digester
- Anaerobic contact process, is a type of anaerobic digester
- Anaerobic digestion, (AD) is the harnessed and contained, naturally occurring process of anaerobic decomposition
- Anaerobic environment, an aquatic environment with little available oxygen - see Hypoxia (environmental)
- Anaerobic exercise, a form of exercise
- Anaerobic filter
- Anaerobic glycolysis, the conversion from sugar to alcohol using yeast - see Fermentation (biochemistry)
- Anaerobic lagoon, used to dispose of animal waste, particularly that of cows and pigs
- Anaerobic organism, any organism that does not require oxygen for growth
- Anaerobic respiration, oxidation of molecules in the absence of oxygen monoxide
- Anaerobic ammonium oxidation, anammox, the microbial process combining ammonium and nitrite.
anaerobic in Spanish: Anaeróbico
anaerobic in Indonesian: Anaerobik
anaerobic in Dutch: anaeroob
anaerobic in Turkish: Anaerobik